Monday, July 07, 2008

Leave it to the Greeks

Most people consider Pizza to be a culinary specially of Italy but the concept behind Pizza really originated in Greece where they used flat bread combined with oil and a myriad of spices and covered with dates.
Although I do not cover my pizza with dates, like the Greeks, I do not use cheese either. (Cheese was first used on pizza in the late 1800's when Queen Margherita, queen of Italy wanted a pizza representing the Italian flag:covered with mozzarella, basil and tomatoes. Cheese is cheese is cheese and is not the deal breaker for an amazing pizza. A great pizza a has rich but not overpowering sauce of tomatoes or pesto or both, topped off with a number of different items and sprinkled with fresh herbs. (I have not yet perfect my pizza making skills but it is hard to get sick of practicing because the practice usually ends in a delicious pizza)


No comments: